The City Fellowship
In partnership with New York City Economic Development Corporation, The City Fellowship supports extraordinary community-oriented entrepreneurs who are making NYC better.
The City Fellowship at Company Ventures offers a 9-month program to direct Venture resources to the benefit of impact entrepreneurs serving New York communities. The program specifically centers the experience of BIPOC and women-led small businesses, nonprofits, and technology startups that are building a more equitable and sustainable future for New Yorkers.
Over the last few decades, venture capital firms have refined frameworks and business tactics that enable businesses to thrive. Our goal in establishing The City Fellowship is to direct this acumen and our networks toward businesses which specifically benefit the fabric of life in our beloved city. We are focused on deep impact, not the speed of growth or scale. We think it’s important to be a part of building/rebuilding NYC with a commitment to economic equity and climate action.
Access + Community
- NYC Government
- Through our partnership with NYCEDC, you will interface with different city agencies through a variety of pilot programs. We bridge public and private sectors to help deploy technologies that impact, or are impacted by, city services.
- Venture Curriculum
- You will have access to monthly business development learning sessions with our investment team and network experts (ranging from sales strategy to innovation practices, growth marketing to team development).
- Fundraising Network Resources
- While we do not have any requirements regarding a company’s status/stage or fundraising objectives, we can provide you with venture advice where appropriate as well as introductions for alternative funding methods.
- The Company Community
- You will be able to interact with the startups and operators within the Company community (including our incredible Grand Central Tech cohort) and be invited to exclusive events/engagements.
- NYC Tech + Startup Ecosystem
- We will connect you with like-minded industry experts and corporate executives based on your goals and needs.
Workforce Development Opportunities
- We create on-ramps for first-gen students in NYC through internships and professional training in collaboration with partners including CUNY and other NYC workforce development partners
- You will have a chance to hire a fully-funded intern as part of our program.
- Based on our North Star program developed for Grand Central Tech, we help you define a clear vision, mission and values, and deliver on the principles of sustainability and diversity, equity and inclusion across your business operations.
- Application deadline: December 19, 2021
- The Fellowship starts in late January 2022 for a duration of 9 months as a hybrid program, primarily virtual with intermittent and exclusive in-person engagements and opportunities
- You are a tech-forward entrepreneur who is working to provide thoughtful solutions and improvements for quality of life in NYC
- You may be leading a for-profit or nonprofit, small business or tech startups – all are welcome
- Early stage operators are encouraged to apply – must show preliminary traction through revenue, fundraising, team development or other means
- Preference for those who are doubling down on economic equity and/or climate action
- You are an NYC-based entrepreneur, or have near-term plans to move to the city
- You are willing to commit to:
- 5 hours each month for hybrid events
- Engagement with our North Star Program focused on values-based leadership
- Participation in our CUNY internship program
Eager to learn more? Join our information session on December 6th where the team will provide an overview of the structure of the program including general logistics, time commitments, and benefits of participation. Register here.